Pages

Friday 29 October 2010

Horror as a genre and the potential target audience

+Horror has been a very successful genre, especially among the potential target audience of teenagers, who go with their friends to see who will be the most scared and who will jump the least amount of times. These particular films have made a significant contribution to the horror film industry and also film industry itself








The Shining is rated number 49 in IMDb’s top 250 films, it was nominated for five major awards, including Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA for best horror film.

















The Exorcist is rated number 191 in IMDb’s top 250 films, it won 2 Oscars, 12 other major film awards and was nominated for 14 others.










The Silence Of The Lambs won 5 Oscars, won 39 other major awards and was nominated for 27 others. Its also rated 26 in IMDb’s top 250 films.












Alien is rated number 44 in IMDb’s top 250 films, it won an Oscar, 11 other awards and was nominated for another 18 awards.












Rosemary’s Baby is rated 199 in IMDb’s top 250 films, won an Oscar, 11 other awards and was nominated for 9 other awards.






Potential Target Audience
In order to fully understand who my target audience was and what other film genres they enjoy, I created a survey and got a diverse range of people to fill it out; I had males and females complete it and the ages ranged from 15-17 years of age to 41+.


I found out that the people who rated horror the highest in the survey were mainly people ages 15-17 and a few from the age group 18-21. This automatically indicates the target audience for my film is a fairly young age group. Also, most people who regularly visit the cinema, so would pay to watch films, also fall into that age category; indicating if my film were to be shown in theatres, it could do well in terms of profit. I did further research into this and when asking people between the ages of 15 and 21, I discovered that the two main reasons they visited the cinema to watch horror films were to scare themselves and also see how their friends react to the horror elements of the film.


I also found out that a lot of the people who rated horror highly, also rated romance quite highly, so incorporating romance into my story would encourage my target audience more to see my film. Here are the results of the participant's most enjoyable genre of films


Click to enlarge


In order to make sure my target audience definitely liked horror, I analysed the results from just the people aged 15-21 to see how highly they rated horror and to make sure the reason why they rated it the highest was because they rated it highly and not because other age groups rated it so low. This shows the results from the 15-21 age groups, showing they do in fact enjoy horror.




Click to enlarge




This is my survey